Greg Waters B.M., M.M. & Dip.
I. Performing Experience II. Education III. Teaching Experience IV. Music Teachers V. Management Experience VI. Performing Groups VII. TV Productions VIII. Awards IX.
Computer Knowledge X. Music Composition XI.
Organizations XII. Personal Information XIII.
Reviews XIV. Recordings and Instruments
I. Performing Experience
1958-61 Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Instruments-Clarinet, Saxophone & Flute
Brookfield High School Band, 1st Clarinet
Milwaukee Elks Youth Band, 1st Clarinet
Jim Robak Jazz Band, Tenor Sax
Greg Waters Quartet, Reeds
Bob Crosby Dance Band
Greg Waters Quartet, Reeds, Concerts at Marquette University 1958-61,
First Review in University Paper
University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, Chamber Music Ensemble Summer Program
1959, 1960 and 1961 Spring
Methodist Church Choir Director 1964 Spring
Recital, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee- Clarinet Recital Noon Hour
Student at the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee-Spring 1965
Winner, Elm Grove Music Prize, 1st Place
Wisconsin State Music Contest, 1st Place
Milwaukee Youth Orchestra, 1st Chair Clarinet
1962-66 Denton, Texas
North Texas Six O'clock Band, 1st Tenor
North Texas Three O'clock Band, 1st Alto
Dan Hurley Ensemble, Reeds, Tenor, Clarinet, Flute, Bassoon
North Texas One O'clock Band, 2nd Tenor
North Texas Concert Band, Clarinet
Dallas County State Fair, Tenor Saxophone
Dallas Symphony Performance of West Side Story, Lead Alto
Dallas Symphony Utility Clarinet
Shreveport Symphony, 1st Clarinet
Free Lance Dance Band Work on Week Ends
Clarinet Recital, North Texas School of Music 1964
Clarinet Recital, North Texas School of Music 1965
Graduate Recital, North Texas School of Music 1966
Asked to play for President Kennedy's Ball in Fort Worth, Texas
Buddy Morrow Orchestra
Electronic Music Recital, Clarinet and Electronic Tape, North Texas
1966-68 Chicago, Illinois
Billy May Orchestra, Tenor Saxophone
Ralph Materie Orchestra, Tenor Saxophone
Playboy Club Orchestra, Lead Alto
Dance Band Work-Chicago Local Bands
Recital-Chicago Conservatory College/My Compositions
Mid-West College Jazz Festival-Winner Outstanding Woodwind Performer
Flute, Clarinet and Saxophone
Bill Russo Orchestra
1968-1976 Toronto, Canada
Royal York Hotel House Band, Woodwinds, backup orchestra for
popular swing singers
Mel Torme, Paul Anka, Helen O'Connell, Ella Fitzgerald, etc
Hook and Ladder Club, backup orchestra for popular swing singers
Cab Callowy, Billy Eckstine, Patti Page, Letterman, Four Freshman, etc.
Lecture and Concert, Creativity and the Artist
CBC Radio Jazz Concerts
Greg Waters Quartet
Chamber Music Recital, Flute
University of Toronto, Recital, New Music Ensemble
Greg Waters Big Band, Park Concerts
1977-96 New York City
Mission Records-Release of first quartet album, Mission I
Greg Waters Jazz Chamber Orchestra
Westbury Music Fair
Chamber Music Recital, Long Island Arts Council
Concerts, Saint Peter's Church, Manhattan, Greg Waters Ensembles
Quartet, Chamber Orchestra, Recital, Organ Music, TV Productions, etc.
Stan Rubin Orchestra
Playboy Club Orchestra, New Jersey
Sal Sicari Orchestra
Tito Puente Orchestra
Lecture Concert The Dark Age of Instrumental Music 1988, Manhattan
Lester Lanin Orchestras
Peter Duchin Orchestras
Mark Donald Orchestras
TV Concerts, The Music Show and The Children's Music Show
Lehman Center for the Performing Arts, Two Concert
The Barge, Brooklyn
Monday Nights in Soho, Chamber Jazz
Mission Two Album
Orchestra Leader, The Star, Ocean Liner, Tampa, Florida
Orchestra Leader, The Homestead, Hot Spring Virginia
Lincoln Center Summer Concerts, Tito Puente Orchestra
Greg Waters Summer Park Concerts, Manhattan, Long Island,
Bronx, and Staten Island
Recently I spent 3 years in Acapulco and
have been in Shenzhen China for a year now 2004
Mexico China Information is
1961 - Brookfield High School, Brookfield, Wisconsin 1961 Dip.
1961- Studied at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
1962 - Studied at The Milwaukee Institute of Technology
1966 - University of North Texas, B.M., Music
1968 - Chicago Conservatory College, M.M., Theory and Composition
1979 - La Salle Extension University, Diploma (Supervisory Management)
1994 - Producer, Bronxnet Community Cable Company - TV Production
III. Teaching Experience
1965 - University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Jazz Band
1967 - Walker Jr. High School Orchestra
1968 - Senn High School Orchestra
1968 - Chicago Conservatory College-Music Theory
1969 - Don Mills High School Band
1970-72 Founded the Ontario Youth Educational Jazz Orchestra
1970-78 - Greg Waters Academy of Music-Reeds, Composition,
Chamber Music Jazz, Orchestration, and Theory
1978-96 - Private Instruction - Reeds, Composition, Chamber Music
1983-96 - Substitute Teacher, New York City Schools
IV.Most Important Music Teachers
Clarinet, Jack Snavely, Leon Breeden, Noah Knepper, Dr. Lee Gibson,
and David Glazer
Flute, Dr. Thom Mason, Noah Knepper, Dr. George Mory and Sam Baron
Oboe, Dennis Waters
Bassoon, Noah Knepper
Saxophone, Noah Knepper, Dr. Thom Mason, and Leon Breeden
Jazz Studies, Dr. Tom Mertel, Dr. Tom Mason, Leon Breeden
Composition and Theory, Dr. Dieter, Merril Ellis
Chamber Music: Fine Arts Quartet, New York Woodwind Quintet, Carol Glenn
and Dr. Francois D'Albert
V. Management Experience
Creative Music Productions 1978-96
Responsible for the coordination and dissemination of information for
marketing of the performing groups.
Write grant proposals including data for spreadsheets,
artists information, database management, government contacts,
music contractor, rehearsal management, maintain files,
planning projects from recordings to concerts to TV Productions.
Financial Statements and Musical Director
VI. Performing Groups
Throughout my career in music I have founded performing groups to perform my
music and personal ideas in music arranging and composition.
Milwaukee - Greg Waters Quartet 1960
Toronto - Greg Waters Big Band Orchestra 1968-77 New York -
Greg Waters Jazz Chamber Orchestra,
Greg Waters Latin Jazz Ensemble
Greg Waters Quartet
Greg Waters Composers Ensemble
Greg Waters Classical Chamber Music Concerts
Greg Waters Jazz Chamber Orchestra 10 musicians Instrumentation:
Soprano Alto Sax Chair, Tenor Sax Chair, Bari Soprano Flute Chair, Trumpet & Fl. Horn,
Trombone and Bass Trombone with Five Rhythm
This is the only band performing music in this format and with its own
style of jazz improvisational music in the band traditions of improvised music and big
Greg Waters Latin Jazz Ensemble Instrumentation:Trumpet,
Alto and Tenor Flute Chair with Conga, Timbales Drum Set, Bass, Piano and or singer,
This group is the traditional latin jazz band using jazz horns and
tunes with Latin percussion.
Greg Waters Quartet Instrumentation: Reeds, Guitar,
Bass, Drums, sometimes piano. I also add three other horns, trumpet, trombone and alto for
I perform my original music with this group. A combination of my
playing abilities with my music.
Greg Waters Composers Ensemble Instrumentation:
Voice, Violin, Reeds, String Bass, Percussion, & Guitar
The Greg Waters Composers Ensemble: This group is the avant-garde
grouping of classical, jazz and free form music into one blend of sound.
Greg Waters Classical Chamber Music Concerts
This group performs traditional classical chamber music and one or two
new pieces at their concerts.
Instrumentation: Two Violins, Piano and Reeds. Plus we add
musicians for different settings.
VII. - TV Productions New York City 1991-96
- The Music Show 30 Programs-Concerts
- The Children's Music 30 Programs-Instruction to
- Music Appreciation
- Programs on Local Cable 3 times a week for two years.
Catalog of Shows
The Music Show and The Children's Music Show
The Music Show is performances of Jazz and Classical Music (More jazz
than classical music).
The Children's Music Show is music appreciation for
children and adults.
- Show 1 MS , Paul M, G Corm. and Quartet Jazz
- Show 1 CMS George C, Paul M. John Burr Interview Trio with Interviews
- Show 2 MS Blues, June, Isabell, & Trade Mark Pop Jazz and
- Show 2 CMS Interview Dean Pratt
John & Dean Jazz performance with nterview
- Show 3 MS John Weiss Mo Better Jam Session in Manhattan
- Show 3 CMS Paul Metzke, Blues, interview Vianney and Leslie Guitar Blues
with interview with children.
- Show 4 MS Greg & George, John Burr, Danny Chang, George & Greg
Duo, Trio, Quartet, Duo, Quartet
- Show 4 CMS Greg & George, Interview with Vianney, about Clarinet,
and George Introduction to the Clarinet
- Show 5 MS If I were You Ballad, Blues, This is it, If I Were You Concert
- Show 5 CMS Paul and Jason, Teaching, Greg and George Hot licks
Trumpet and interview demonstration.
- Show 6 MS Interview with Paul, TP. Solo, Out with Mo Better Alto Solo
Waters interviews Paul Litrenta, Professional Musician and Teacher
- Show 6 CMS Greg Alone Talk about Bach and present day music.
- Show 7 MS Danny Change, If I Were You, Funk Rock, Slow Bossa and I
Denis Jazz Quartet with different song forms from pop music.
- Show 7 CMS Vianney and Greg Teaching Discussion about music and children
- Show 8 MS Greg/George, If I were You, I Remember Denis, Yosiki, This is
Blues For Later Yosiki. Jazz Concert
- Show 8 CMS Greg and the Bassoon, Blues, Drums Demo Ballad, This is it.
Demonstrations of the Bassoon and other instruments.
- Show 9 MS Yosiki, If I Were You, Free Improvisation. etc. Ballad style
free form improvisation with a jazz quartet.
- Show 10 CMS Jason, Margaret and Christina Demonstrations of what is
- Show 11 MS Avant Garde, NYCE Classical Jazz with Video Fun.
- Show 11 CMS Ron and Students/students play the piano. Interview with
Mothers and Teacher
- Show 12 MS Bach Talk Studio, Change to the Children's Music Show
- Show 12 CMS Rozanna Wienberger Talk Violist
- Show 13 MS Rozanna Wienberger Concert
- Show 13 CMS Mansion Van Cortlandt Mansion Talk show about Bach and his
music Show 14 MS Yosiki with Daniel's Editing Quartet.
- Show 14 CMS Father George I What is learning, Reading of music and
District Seven Shows CMS
- 13 I.S. 139 Classroom with Guitars
- 14 Interview Goodman Studio
- 15 La Salle and 139/57 and 139 performances
- 16 Crespo Interview
- 17 Connie Grossman in Classroom
- The Music Programs in District 7 NYC.
- 18 Duo, Papi and Greg, Herb and Greg, George and Greg Bari Sax Duets and
- 19 Lew Anderson 17 Piece Big Band Jazz
- 20 Greg Waters Chamber Jazz Band
- 21 Greg Waters Chamber Jazz Band
- 22 Greg Waters Chamber Jazz Band
- 23 Greg Waters Chamber Jazz Band Jazz Band
- 24 Greg and George House Guitar and Flute Concert
- 25 Joe Puma 1 Guitar Trio, Trombone, Clarinet, Concert
- 26 Connie Grossman 1 Flute and Alto Sax Concert with Rhythm Section
- 27 Connie Grossman 2 Flute and Alto Sax concert with Rhythm Section
- 28 Joe Shepley 1 Trumpet Trumpet and Guitar Concert
with Bass and Drums
- 29 Joe Shepley 2 Dixie and Vienney 8 Piece Dixie Style Concert
- 30 CMP Latin Jazz Latin Jazz Concert 8 Piece Band
- 31 CMP 2 Latin Jazz Latin Jazz Concert 8 Piece Band
- 32 Joe Puma and Yosiki Two Guitar Players in Different Settings.
The Children's Music Show
- 19. Talk Office No. 1 The State of Music
- 20. Bass Clarinet, Bari, Eng. Horn, Vianney and Leslie Introduction to
the Bass Clarinet, English Horn and Baritone Saxophone.
- 21. Lecture I Lecture on the church and the beginnings of early music.
- 22. Casa Talk, Modern Day Pop and 300 A.D. Music
- 3. MS Kids Playing in the Parks, Music and Kids
- 24. Bronx Scenes Music and Scenes from the Bronx
1959 Brookfield High School Music Summer Camp Award-UW
1961-62-64 Chamber Music Grants, Un. of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
1964 University of North Texas Clarinet Scholarship
1965 Centenary College Full Scholarship-Clarinet Performance
1968 American Foundation Award, Chicago,
Best woodwind performer
1968 Scholarship to Berkeley School of Music Boston 1973-74-75 Composition
Awards from the Ontario Arts Council
1976 National Endowment to the Arts Grant - Jazz Performance
1979 Nassau County Arts Council Chamber Music Concert
1980 Meet the Composer's Grant - New York City
1980-96 Creative Music Productions Concerts
1992-92 Best of the Bronx Series at Lehman Center for the
IX. Computer Skills
Working Knowledge of IBM and Macintosh Performa Computers, Internet
Construction Word 7, Access, Visual Basic Programming, Video Editing
on Sony Equipment etc.
My music site
X. Music Composed 1962-96
Compositions Jazz Classical/Greg Waters Conductor Composer Performer
Compositions by Greg Waters
- Double Violin Concerto
- Violin Concerto
- Jazz Quartet Concertos
- Jazz Trio Concertos
- Piano Sonata
- Violin Duet Sonata
- Solo Violin Sonata
- Solo Flute Dance
- Clarinet Flute Duet
- Flute and Guitar
- Flute and Oboe
- Guitar Solo
- Organ Piece
- Piano Piece
- Theme and 6 Var. for Flute Oboe and Piano
- Alto Sax and Flute Waltz for flute and Piano
- Holy, Holy, Holy, for Choir and Organ
- Lecture on Creativity and the Artist
- Lecture, The Dark Age of Music
- Sonata for Five Recorders and Harpsichord
- Violin and Viola Duet
- Short Sonata for Viola and Piano
- Trio for Voice, viola and Cello
- Two Pieces for Violin, Viola, Cello, Oboe and Flute
- Latin Jazz Music - 20 Songs
- Concerto for Woodwind Quintet
- Symphony for Military Band and Strings
- Trio for Oboe, Clarinet and Tenor Sax
- Trio for Oboe, flute and A Clarinet
- String Quartet
- Quartet for Trumpet, Flute, Alto Sax and Percussion
- Jazz Woodwind Quartet
- 32 Jazz Tunes for Jazz Ensembles
- 12 Jazz Tunes
- 40 Jazz Arrangements for 10 piece jazz orchestra
- Organ Choral Pieces
- Dance Band Library for 8 Musicians
Member American Federation Musicians
Member BMI Performing Rights Organization
United Federation of Teachers
Creative Music Productions Inc.
XII. Personal Information
56 Years Old, Born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin 1943, Speak Spanish as a
Second Language, Enjoy Golf, and Computers.
My Personal Opinion about Music
"I believe that music was sent to us from a divine source and that all real music
is a glorification of God and not the glorification of Man. So much of our society has
destroyed the true meaning of music. Music is not sex, popular dance, or other choices of
man, but is the spirit of God and only of God. These are my personal opinions and I know
that these ideas have very little meaning and support in our society.
However, I believe that instrumental music as composed by Bach in his
Brandenburg Concertos is the closes example of this idea.
This is why pure instrumental music is so close to The Spirit of Nature
and The Spirit of Life or "The Nameless God" as founded in all true religions.
May a few individuals stand for the pure art of music so that its voice
will ring out for its affirmation. I have tried my best to meet this challenge. But I only
see how much I have failed in our modern age of computers and CD's from the entertainment
industry and established concert halls."
I turned to Yoga for my strength and life. Life without Yoga is not life. If you
want to be a real artist you must study Yoga.
this will give you the strength to move into the world of real art and the only art.
Yoga is Art. Art is Yoga. Music is materialism. This was very sad for me when
I learned that music was no different than a hot dog. But when you study yoga and
the art of yoga you will learn the fine line between musical art and materialism.
Most all music is materialism, but at times it reaches the divine. Let us
learn to be on that fine line of divine music. This is the meaning of my life is
divine music. There is no more to say.
- "Reedman Waters is a virtuoso multi-instrumentalist and gifted
whose music deserves to be heard more widely."
The Observation Post, Frederic Seaman, New York City
- "Waters was unknown to this reviewer, but his fine album, Mission,
made me really sit up and take notice. Greg is a musician of uncommon
Bronx News, Highlights in Jazz, Jack Kleinsinger
- "Waters Mission Album stands among such artists as Mary Lou
George Russell, Phil Woods, Beaver Harris, Jimmy Guiffre and others
in this class."
Bullets, Detroit Sun
- "Greg Waters, Milwaukee native, who records in the East and Canada.
An exceptionally gifted musician composer."
Monitor Herald, Wax Works, Omaha
IX. Recordings and Instruments
Two Albums, LP's Mission One and Two
60 TV Shows, Beta Cam SP
Clarinet A & Bb, Bass Clarinet
Oboe & English Horn
Flute, Piccolo. and Alto Flute
Soprano Saxophone, Alto Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone and Baritone
I used all these instruments for playing show music and studio work. My main
instruments are Saxes, Clarinets, and Flutes. I use the English Horn and Bassoon for my
own concerts in my performing groups for orchestration and other colors. I have performed
full classical recitals on Clarinet, Flute and Alto Saxophone.